Skip to main content

SS Media Consumption

MY MEDIA CONSUMTION

Newspapers
  • Daily Newspapers: I don’t read any daily newspapers regularly. I prefer to get my news online or from other digital sources.
  • Sections I Read First: When I do check newspapers, I usually start with the news section to catch up on current events. Occasionally, I’ll look at the culture or lifestyle sections if there's something specific of interest.
  • Sections I Never Read: I rarely read the sports sections or financial pages, as I’m not particularly interested in sports and I’m not deeply involved in finance.
  • Kinds of Stories I Read: I generally focus on national and international news stories, particularly those related to current affairs, social issues, or global events. I find these areas more relevant and engaging.
  • Newspaper Purchase: I don’t buy newspapers. I prefer digital formats.
  • Online Versions: I visit the websites of The Guardian and BBC News. I like their in-depth coverage and accessible formats. I find these sites offer reliable information and diverse perspectives.
Magazines
  • Regular Purchases: I don’t buy magazines regularly. I tend to read articles online instead.
  • Sections I Read: When I do read magazines, I’m interested in sections related to technology, culture, and lifestyle. I generally skip the fashion and celebrity sections.
Television
  • Viewing Hours: I watch around 10-15 hours of television a week.
  • Device Used: I primarily use a smart TV for watching TV.
  • Times of Day: I usually watch TV in the evenings after finishing my studies or on weekends.
  • Favourite Programmes: I enjoy dramas, documentaries, and occasionally some educational programmes. I like shows that offer insight into different cultures and issues.
  • Watching Alone or With Others: I usually watch with my family. We often decide together what to watch, balancing individual preferences.
  • Live or On-Demand: I mostly use on-demand services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Occasionally, I watch live TV if there's something special on.
  • Other Devices: I use a tablet occasionally to watch TV on the go.
Radio
  • Listening to Radio: I listen to the radio occasionally, especially during commutes.
  • Favourite Stations: I like BBC Radio 4 for its diverse programming and in-depth discussions on current events.
  • Podcasts: I do listen to podcasts. Recently, I’ve enjoyed "The Daily" by The New York Times for current affairs, and "The Infinite Monkey Cage" for science.
  • Listening Hours: I spend about 3-4 hours a week listening to podcasts or radio.
  • Listening Times: I usually listen in the mornings or during commutes.
  • Listening Locations: Mostly in the car or at home.
  • Other Activities: I might be doing chores or commuting while listening.
  • Others in Household: My family also listens to radio, typically during breakfast or while driving.
Film
  • Recent Cinema Visits: In the last month, I watched "Oppenheimer" and "Barbie" at the cinema.
  • Films Watched Elsewhere: I’ve watched "The Last of Us" series and "The Marvels" on Disney+ and Netflix.
  • Who Watched With Me: I usually watch films with friends or family.
  • Decision-Maker: We often decide together, considering everyone’s preferences.
  • Devices Used: I use a smart TV for most film watching, but sometimes I use a laptop or tablet.
Online
  • Internet Access Frequency: I access the internet multiple times a day.
  • Access Locations: Primarily at home, but also during commutes and occasionally at school.
  • Main Sites Accessed: I frequently visit news sites, social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter, and streaming services.
  • Reasons for Access: Mainly for news, social media, and entertainment. I also use it for research and communicating with friends.
  • Other Activities: I often browse while multitasking, such as studying or chatting with friends.
  • Devices Used: I use a smartphone as my primary device for accessing the internet, but I also use a laptop and tablet.
  • Social Networks: I use Instagram for staying updated with friends and interests, and Twitter for news and discussions.
Final Reflection
  • Developing Media Consumption: I could explore more diverse media sources, especially those focusing on global perspectives and different cultural viewpoints. I might also incorporate more traditional media forms into my routine.
  • Changes for This Year: I aim to diversify my media consumption by including more international news sources and exploring new genres and formats in both digital and traditional media.
  • New Sources to Explore:
  1. Al Jazeera – For a broader international perspective on news.
  1. The New Yorker – For in-depth articles and cultural insights.
  1. NPR (National Public Radio) – For a variety of podcasts and news segments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr Halsey First Task

Mr Halsey First Task 1) Why did you choose A Level Media Studies? I chose A-Level Media Studies because I’m fascinated by how media shapes our understanding of the world. The course offers a deep dive into the creation and impact of various media forms, from films and TV shows to advertising and digital content. It combines theoretical analysis with practical projects, allowing me to explore my creative side while developing critical thinking skills. Additionally, it aligns well with my future career aspirations in media and communications. 2) Did you take GCSE Media Studies (either here at Greenford or a different school)?  I didn’t take GCSE Media Studies. 3) If you answered yes to Q2, what grade did you achieve in GCSE Media? What coursework task did you complete?       What would you say your strengths and weaknesses were in GCSE Media? 4) What grade do you hope to achieve in A Level Media?   A* 5) What are your current thoughts about your next steps after A Levels - university, ap

Semiotics

  SEMIOTICS   Part 1:  English  by Tarun Thind analysis   1) What meanings are the audience encouraged to take about the two main characters from the opening of the film?     Right from the start, we get a sense of who the two main characters are. One feels more reserved, maybe a bit lost in thought, while the other seems full of life and energy. This immediate contrast draws us in, making us curious about how their different personalities will clash or complement each other. We’re encouraged to connect with them—understanding their struggles, hopes, and what might drive them apart or bring them together. It’s a relatable setup that hints at the complexities of friendships and relationships we all experience.   2) How does the end of the film emphasise de Saussure’s belief that signs are polysemic – open to interpretation or more than one meaning?   By the end of the film, things aren’t neatly tied up, and that’s where it gets interesting. The conclusion leaves us with a sense o