Skip to main content

Mr Halsey First Task

Mr Halsey First Task


1) Why did you choose A Level Media Studies?
I chose A-Level Media Studies because I’m fascinated by how media shapes our understanding of the world. The course offers a deep dive into the creation and impact of various media forms, from films and TV shows to advertising and digital content. It combines theoretical analysis with practical projects, allowing me to explore my creative side while developing critical thinking skills. Additionally, it aligns well with my future career aspirations in media and communications.
2) Did you take GCSE Media Studies (either here at Greenford or a different school)? 
I didn’t take GCSE Media Studies.
3) If you answered yes to Q2, what grade did you achieve in GCSE Media? What coursework task did you complete?       What would you say your strengths and weaknesses were in GCSE Media?
4) What grade do you hope to achieve in A Level Media?
 A*
5) What are your current thoughts about your next steps after A Levels - university, apprenticeship, work?
After completing my A-Levels, I’m planning to pursue a career in law. I’m particularly interested in undertaking a degree apprenticeship in law, which will allow me to gain practical experience while studying for my degree. This path offers a valuable combination of academic learning and real-world application, setting me up for a successful career in the legal field.
6) What do you think the biggest MEDIA story of 2024 has been and why?
As of September 2024, one of the biggest media stories is the ongoing impact and evolution of AI in the media industry. This encompasses several key areas:
Generative AI in Content Creation: Advances in AI technology have significantly changed how media content is created, from AI-generated journalism to deepfake videos. This has sparked debates about ethics, authenticity, and the future of creative professions.
Regulation and Policy Changes: Governments and organizations are grappling with how to regulate AI and its applications in media. This includes discussions about data privacy, misinformation, and the responsibilities of tech companies.
The Role of AI in Personalization: AI algorithms are increasingly used to tailor content to individual preferences, raising questions about data security, the influence of algorithms on public opinion, and the potential for echo chambers.
This story is crucial because it addresses the intersection of technology, ethics, and media, shaping how we consume information and interact with content in the future.
7) What media sources do you use to find out about news and current affairs?
To stay informed about news and current affairs, I use a variety of media sources, including:
News Websites: I regularly check reputable news websites like BBC News, Reuters, and The Guardian for up-to-date and comprehensive coverage of global events.
Social Media: Platforms like Twitter and LinkedIn are useful for real-time updates and diverse perspectives. I follow trusted journalists and news organizations to ensure the reliability of information.
News Apps: I use news apps from established outlets such as CNN or Al Jazeera, which offer personalized news feeds and notifications on breaking news.
Podcasts and Radio: I listen to news podcasts and radio programs for in-depth discussions and analysis. Shows like NPR’s "Up First" or BBC Radio 4’s "Today" provide valuable context and expert opinions.
News Aggregators: Tools like Google News or Apple News aggregate stories from multiple sources, helping me to get a broad view of current events.
By using a mix of these sources, I can get a well-rounded perspective on news and current affairs.
8) What was the last film you watched?
"Tees Maar Khan," released in 2010, is a Bollywood comedy directed by Farah Khan. The film stars Akshay Kumar as Tees Maar Khan, a con artist with grand plans to rob a train carrying valuable cargo. Katrina Kaif plays the role of his glamorous partner, while the film also features a special appearance by Salman Khan.
The film is known for its playful and over-the-top humour, with Farah Khan's signature style evident in its lively choreography and colourful visuals. The soundtrack, which includes catchy numbers like “Sheila Ki Jawaani,” also contributed to its popularity. Despite mixed reviews from critics, it remains a notable entry in the genre of Bollywood comedies for its energetic performances and entertaining set pieces.
9) What is your favourite ever TV series?
"Suits" is a standout TV series that captivated many with its blend of legal drama and sharp wit. The show, created by Aaron Korsh, originally aired from 2011 to 2019 and is set in a high-stakes law firm in New York City. The central plot revolves around Mike Ross (played by Patrick J. Adams), a brilliant but unlicensed lawyer who, despite his lack of a formal law degree, lands a job at a prestigious firm thanks to his exceptional legal acumen. Harvey Specter (played by Gabriel Macht), a top attorney at the firm, takes Mike under his wing, and their dynamic forms the heart of the series.
The series is well-regarded for its clever dialogue, intricate legal cases, and the strong chemistry between the characters. Notable performances by Meghan Markle as Rachel Zane and Rick Hoffman as Louis Litt further enrich the ensemble cast. "Suits" also explores themes of ambition, loyalty, and the complexities of personal and professional relationships, making it not just a legal drama but also a compelling character study.
Its mix of humour, drama, and stylish presentation, along with its memorable catchphrases and high-stakes courtroom battles, contribute to its lasting appeal and popularity among viewers
10) How many hours do you spend online in an average day? Is this too little, too much or about right? Why? (If you have an iPhone you can use Screen Time to get an accurate figure of how much you use your phone).
On average, I spend around 7 hours online each day. Whether this amount is too little, too much, or just right can depend on various factors, including how I use my time online and my overall goals and responsibilities.
If I find that the time spent online is excessive, it might be worth evaluating how that time is being used. For instance, if a lot of it is spent on social media or other non-productive activities, it might be beneficial to reduce that and focus more on meaningful activities or tasks. On the other hand, if the time spent online is used productively—for work, study, or staying connected with others—then it might be more acceptable.
To get a more accurate sense of my online usage, I could use tools like Screen Time on an iPhone, which tracks app usage and can help me assess whether my online habits align with my personal and professional goals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SS Media Consumption

MY MEDIA CONSUMTION Newspapers Daily Newspapers: I don’t read any daily newspapers regularly. I prefer to get my news online or from other digital sources. Sections I Read First: When I do check newspapers, I usually start with the news section to catch up on current events. Occasionally, I’ll look at the culture or lifestyle sections if there's something specific of interest. Sections I Never Read: I rarely read the sports sections or financial pages, as I’m not particularly interested in sports and I’m not deeply involved in finance. Kinds of Stories I Read: I generally focus on national and international news stories, particularly those related to current affairs, social issues, or global events. I find these areas more relevant and engaging. Newspaper Purchase: I don’t buy newspapers. I prefer digital formats. Online Versions: I visit the websites of The Guardian and BBC News. I like their in-depth coverage and accessible formats. I find these sites offer reliable informa

Semiotics

  SEMIOTICS   Part 1:  English  by Tarun Thind analysis   1) What meanings are the audience encouraged to take about the two main characters from the opening of the film?     Right from the start, we get a sense of who the two main characters are. One feels more reserved, maybe a bit lost in thought, while the other seems full of life and energy. This immediate contrast draws us in, making us curious about how their different personalities will clash or complement each other. We’re encouraged to connect with them—understanding their struggles, hopes, and what might drive them apart or bring them together. It’s a relatable setup that hints at the complexities of friendships and relationships we all experience.   2) How does the end of the film emphasise de Saussure’s belief that signs are polysemic – open to interpretation or more than one meaning?   By the end of the film, things aren’t neatly tied up, and that’s where it gets interesting. The conclusion leaves us with a sense o